Thesis Submission – March 2009

Mangled thesisThe last weeks and days of writing a thesis are increasingly fraught, and the late-night sessions get later and later. The picture on the left is only clear when you enlarge it, but it shows one of the tenser moments, when the printer failed to pick up my font correctly and produced several pages of gobbledegook. I recorded this on Flickr as a:

Nightmare scenario. Thesis printed out three times and perfect bound. Cheque duly handed over. But look at the contents :-(

Nevertheless, it all comes together in the end. The printer finds the correct fonts, the Word glitches are worked around, the headers and footers are in place and the writing is all done. Time to submit :-)

I expected a viva within a few weeks – but things were not to work out that way. First of all, the thesis sat in a cupboard in the Research School for several weeks, then my external examiner was away, and then I spent a while in intensive care and wasn’t allowed a viva until I had recovered. In the end, I wasn’t viva-ed until August.

Advertisements
  1. Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: